[Gnu-arch-users] Re: identical changes conflict

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: identical changes conflict
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:36:44 +0000

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> wrote:
> The threeway algorithm includes:
> If the text is tha same in THIS and OTHER, use that text.  That is
> never a conflict.

OK, I understand now.

Last time I looked at the star-merge code in tla (I think it was
before 1.3), the common ancestor for a three-way merge was the latest
common patch between the two trees. This means that it won't work well
with cherry-picking.

Has this been changed recently? I think that if the common ancestor
would be the last consecutive common patch, star-merge should not
report a conflict for cherry-picked patches since the changes are
identical (well, some extra assumptions here).

Thanks,

Catalin