Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch with 'special files'

From: John Arbash Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch with 'special files'
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:09:44 -0600

Josh England wrote:

Hello,

I'm evaluating arch (tla) to see if it is suitable for my very
non-standard purpose.  I don't want to archive code, per se.  I want to
archive a linux distribution, ie: '/' and everything underneath it.  I
think the main problem is how to handle 'special' files such as
block/character devices, fifos, etc.  It uses tar internally, right,
which is certainly capable of managing devices files and such.

It looks like arch is not inherently capable of handling these special
kinds of files, but I thought I'd ask anyway:  Is there any way to use
arch to handle this?  Does anyone know of a (clean) workaround to handle
this?

-JE

There is specific code in the inventory code to ignore anything that is
not a file, directory or symlink.

The specific code chunk is this:
     /* only symlinks, directories and plain files are
      * considerably source, all others need to be precious
      */
     if (   !S_ISREG (stat_buf.st_mode)
         && !S_ISLNK (stat_buf.st_mode)
         && !S_ISDIR (stat_buf.st_mode))
       {
         goto precious_file;
       }

I think the problem is how do you do a diff of a FIFO with another FIFO?
Is it just presence/absence?

You *really* don't want arch to consider /dev/hda as a file that it
would diff against some other /dev/hda.
Maybe for block items you would want to just record what their block
numbers. If you can come up with a reasonable definition, maybe it would
make sense.

But really that would be easier to do by having a script that you run
which takes inventory of whatever you want, and then puts that into a
text file. Then you use arch to manage the text file.

Arch also doesn't maintain owner/group. Again because that doesn't make
sense in standard revctl. Because if you put your source somewhere, I
download it, it shouldn't have you as the owner, it should have me.
Otherwise I might not even be able to read it.

Probably you don't want to use arch, because you really don't want to do
revision control. Unless you are trying to patch/merge the changes, you
should look into more of a backup system (like Amanda.)

John
=:->