Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bazaar 1.3 preview

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Bazaar 1.3 preview
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 18:14:51 +1000

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 01:09 +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> I didn't try baz 1.3 preview, but I would like to know about the status
> of several issues.
>
> 1) Don't you think "tree-id" command is misnamed? Use "tree-rev" name
> if you feel "tree-revision" is not short enough (I don't feel so).
>
> 2) The flat-revision subdirectory structure in ~/.arch-cache leads to
> huge directories, this is not scalable. Is not version/patchlevel
> structure more balanced and more consistent?

The above have been discussed elsewhere.

> 3) Is the problem of mixed stdout and stderr in some commands fixed?
> (For example, in commit after import, half of "* messages" go to stdout
> and half to stderr.) The tla behaviour is better; stderr is for errors.

We had a long discussion on irc about this, the current strategy is to
make stdout contain /only/ the out the user asked for. I.e. the output
of baz diff to stdout will be just the diff itself, no chatter about
revision building etc. All miscellaneous output will be on stderr.

For front ends we'll provide a simple mechanism to channel the chatter
to either stdout or to an arbitrary fd.

Cheers,
Rob