[Gnu-arch-users] Using win32 and unix questions

From: Neilen Marais
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Using win32 and unix questions
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 17:09:57 +0200

Hi!

I'm working on an academic code, and have been using tla quite happly as
a simple revisioning system under linux. I told my colleauges who will
be colaborating with me about arch, and they were quite interested!

The problem is that they are using windows, and I Linux. Also, I don't
use windows at all, so it's hard for me to test out the various windows
releases.

>From what I can tell from the wiki, there are 3 win32 tla ports. The simplest
to use seems to be the Johannes port, but it does not seem to do any
path-name compression. How likely is one to run into trouble, and what
causes it? i.o.w., will it help to keep the archive low in the directory
tree (e.g. c:\arch\blah instead of c:\somedir\anotherdir\projects
\...\blah)?

As for the unix/dos line endings, I assume that won't be a problem if
the development environments are line-ending agnostic. The windows guys
are using Compaq Visual Fortran (which uses an oldish version of MS
Visual studio if I'm not mistaken), and I'm using ifort (hopefully
gfortran soon). Any idea if CVF/ MS Visual studio will dislike unix line
endings?

Thanks
Neilen