Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Future of GNU Arch, bazaar and bazaar-ng ... ?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:11:15 +0100

martin f krafft <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> However, people tell me bzr isn't ready for prime time yet. Thus, I
> am actively preventing myself from just switching to git, waiting in
> pain for bzr to become usable.

I've read some comments (well, gossip, really) that git's use of large
numbers of files was causing operational problems on
kernel.org---specifically that the daily backup took more than 24
hours.  (If I understand correctly, it stores each file separately,
and each change to each file separately.  As a contrast, subversion's
fsfs seems to use one or two files per revision.)

That doesn't strike me as especially horrible, but I'd guess rsync
(for example) would really suck at mirroring that.  I'd imagine many
other programs would, too.

Is that actually a problem in reality, or is it a mostly bogus attack?

[...]