Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Good News about GNU Arch!

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Good News about GNU Arch!
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:18:28 +0100

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 20:04 -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> Hi, I have volunteered to maintain GNU Arch. and the
> FSF has agreed to this.  With the support of Tom, I
> fill in as the maintainer of GNU Arch.

Congratulations.

Nice to see reality catch up with theory, and somebody stepping up to
save a useful but orphaned piece of code from abandonment.

> My plan is to be conservative and to merge in bug
> fixes and other feature enhancements (mainly usability
> ones), such as these in bazaar, in a gradual manner.
> The 1.3.x code will be the basis for future releases.
>   I do not intend to make revolutionary changes to GNU
> Arch 1.x as the debate is still up on what is the best
> approach for SCM data storage.  I aim to make Arch 1.x
> stay usable for people still relying on it.

Reasonable and pragmatic.

By the way, PyArch/PyBaz is also up for adoption.

> Arch 1.x shall continue until a clear winner among the
> next generation distributed free SCMs emerges.

That's likely to take a while. And it might never happen. I see no
strong reason for the developers of independent upstream projects to
converge on the same VCS. Though VCS developers do try to give them
some :)
--
                                                            -- ddaa