[Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic remove the corrupt revlib revision

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: patch: automatic remove the corrupt revlib revision
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 12:08:16 -0500

> Corrupt revision libraries should be a rare exception, not a rule.

Yes, I actually have never seen it happen (probably because I stay clear of
stupid tricks like hardlinking into the revlib).  But I've very often seen
inode-sig failures because inode numbers had changed for one reason or
another (backup/restore and things like that typically).

So maybe a better solution to the problem of tla complaining about
inode-sig-failure is to provide a "2nd chance" code which first checks
whether actual corruption really happened: if it did, then signal the error
somehow (including text describing how to remove the offending data),
otherwise re-snap the inode data.

To detect actual corruption, an MD5 checksum of the whole revision should
be enough.

BTW, I'd also recommend to make all the files and dirs inside a revlib
read-only.

        Stefan