Re: [Gnu-arch-users] request for comments on partial commits

From: Paul LeoNerd Evans
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] request for comments on partial commits
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:58:06 +0000

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 10:57:31PM -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
> Hi, for the partial commit problem I am thinking of a simple method:
> the user will have to commit the whole tree after a file renaming or
> file deletion operation, which means the change to the directory
> content.  Are there any objection to this approach as a short-term
> measure?   Thanks for comments on this.

As I've mentioned in my other reply, I already have code in bazaar to
handle a more general case than this.

The problem, I shall point out, is symmetric. If you can handle file
additions, you can just as easily handle deletes. The changeset code
simply takes two trees and compares them; these two operations look the
same.

Long story short, the bazaar code already handles arbitrary sets of
changes to files, where no directory changes happen. The logic should be
easy enough to extend to allow directory add/rename/deletes as well.

I've spent a long time thinking over the more general case of the
problem, and I'd be happy to lend comments on specific corner cases,
insights, and other observations that may be of use...

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

address@hidden
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/