Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: request for comments on partial commits

From: Paul LeoNerd Evans
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: request for comments on partial commits
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 23:48:43 +0000

On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 11:57:20PM -0800, Andy Tai wrote:
> OK, I guess you have a point.  At lease tla should be able to allow
> partially committing files that were not moved or deleted.
>
> Got to think of something at least tracking these "problematic" files
> for partial commit ...
> (some of the previous messages already point out ways to handle this.
>  They will be the lights toward a working implementation for more
> gracefully handling partial commits)

As the implementor of new partial commit/undo/changeset code in Bazaar,
I'd like to bring it to attention at this point.

The original code in TLA was a very special case of either full commit,
or of partial commit provided the only modifications anywhere in the
tree were file contents.

The new code now implemented in Bazaar allows any partial commit of
outstanding changes, where no changes to directories (i.e.
add/delete/rename directories) are present, and no changes of metadata
files (like {arch}/=tagging-method). These restrictions are in place
simply on account of time it would have taken to write the code. I
believe starting with the code I have there, it should still be possible
to provide a more general case, covering directory changes at least.
Also the way the code stands would make it very easy to implement a
"commit within this subdir" action, or other such conveniences as would
be deemed suitable.

The corner cases for metadata files are somewhat special, and might have
to always exist.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

address@hidden
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/