[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Running awiki ...

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Running awiki ...
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:10:56 -0800

    up> I did some random poking without much luck.  Any suggestions?
        [.... patch attached ....]

At a quick glance it looks like a patch that works by coincidence,
not because it makes the code more locally correct.  The "- 1" you
deleted there should be offset by the `[1]' size of the `_value'
field of {identifier,symbol}_table_entry structures.

     andy> Ulrich, thanks.  I will incorporate the fix.  Of course
           awiki matters are still best authoritatively answered by
           Tom :-)

I'm certainly intellectually interested in the topic.  The C code we're
talking about was an OK rough out, the later Python version gets the
parsing algorithm far closer to right.  The general thrust of the
thing is pretty original.   It has a lot to contribute to wikis
in general, semantic wikis, truly archivable and portable hypertext,
etc.  It ties in nicely with changeset-oriented distributed revision
control.  It's the most serious contender I've seen for a nice human-
friendly source syntax for XML in general.  While my perspective is
unique, given the paucity of documentation for it, in my 23-or-so
years of hacking I've never enjoyed a better system for rapidly
cranking out technical documentation, quick papers, etc.
It's antecedents have a long history of enabling a pragmatic form
of literate programming and I expect its progenitors will return
to that.

I have no budget for working on it, though.   Sort of a bummer --
I'd long envisioned it as a small part of a larger R&D project.