Re: generic mode for pgp encrypted files e.g. to store passwords

From: Josef Bauer
Subject: Re: generic mode for pgp encrypted files e.g. to store passwords
Date: 02 Aug 2004 13:27:03 +0200

 RMS> Could you possibly make it into a contribution to Mailcrypt?

 Josef> Well ... in my view it is only a tiny gimmick for .emacs
 Josef> files. So I am impressed to hear from RMS in person :-0 . But
 Josef> given this fact I will think about that ;-) .

Maybe I should wait if someone sees need for improvement. I put the
emails found on the http://mailcrypt.sourceforge.net site to
BCC. Although ... the site does not look very active to me.

 RMS> We recommend GPG, which is free software, over PGP which is not.
 RMS> Does this work with GPG as well?

 Josef> No ... at the moment it is partly hard coded to pgp. I need to
 Josef> check what needs to be done to make it work with gpg. I
 Josef> believe that my current version of mailcrypt does not support
 Josef> gpg but newer versions should do.

Below I put a version that works for mailcrypt 3.5.8, gpg 1.2.4 and
(again) GNU emacs 21.3.1.

First a related part of my .emacs:

;---------------------------------------------------------------------
(require 'mailcrypt)
(mc-setversion "gpg")    ; for PGP 2.6 (default); also "5.0" and "gpg"
(setq mc-gpg-user-id "address@hidden")
;---------------------------------------------------------------------

And this is the generic mode for gpg encrypted files:

;---------------------------------------------------------------------
(define-generic-mode 'mc-gpg-file-mode
  (list ?#)
  nil nil