Re: nero.el

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: nero.el
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:47:02 +0000

Joe Corneli <address@hidden> writes:

> Nero is a fast text-based web browser that runs under emacs.  It is
> much faster than emacs/w3 and it is also faster than emacs/w3m.
> In fact, it might be the fastest web browser I've ever used.
>
> No effort has been made to make the browser fully functional!  Future
> releases of the browser will have more features, but I don't
> anticipate it ever having anything close to the full functionality of
> Lynx (which it uses to do display).
>
> However, it has two indispensible features that I've already
> mentioned: it runs inside Emacs and it is fast!
>
> BTW, in case you were wondering about the name (which is of course
> entirely subject to change) -- this program is inspired by the
> Mozilla-based browser "conkeror" and "Nero" is short for "conqueriNg
> hERO".

I like this. I've been waiting for a nice simple browser in Emacs LISP
for ages.

There is an immediate problem with the code you posted though. When I
do nero-browse-url it gets the url but doesn't switch to nero mode.

I had to switch to nero-mode manually.

The main thing about this seems to be some markup about how links and
things work. This is interesting because it means that lynx -dump is
not really necessary, the markup could be generated by XSLT for
example, or links -dump.

What do you think about pluggable renderers?

Nic Ferrier