Re: savehist -- save minibuffer history between Emacs invocations

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: savehist -- save minibuffer history between Emacs invocations
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:06:55 +0100

Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> writes:

> That requires loading savehist to install savehist-mode, which is
> wrong.  I was thinking of something along the lines of
>  :set (lambda (val) (savehist-mode (if val 1 0))), but I couldn't
> really make it work.

I've now nailed it, and it's right there in the manual.  Sorry about
OT, but this might help other authors.  The incantation that works for
me, transplanted from Elisp manual, is:

(defcustom savehist-mode nil
  "Mode for automatic saving of minibuffer history.
Set this by calling the `savehist-mode' function or using the customize
interface."
  :type 'boolean
  :set (lambda (symbol value) (savehist-mode (or value 0)))
  :initialize 'custom-initialize-default
  :require 'savehist
  :group 'savehist)