Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 23:20:15 +0100

Tim X <address@hidden> writes:

> On thing which often strikes me is the speed with which people
> will willingly download and install software, even when in
> source form, without actually knowing anything about the author
> or how trustworthy they are and will just run the softwre
> without checking the sources..  I've often wondered, for an
> experiment, what results you woul dget if you created a handy
> little utility, but embedded within it som ecode which gathered
> information about the user and mailed it to some remote site.

that experiment is called emacs (and M-x report-emacs-bug ;-).

i suppose the next step in the civilization of human beings after
widespread availability and usage of free software would be some
kind of proper internalization of civic spirit.  the tricky thing
is to raise awareness of, while contemporaneously reducing desire
to experiment w/, nastiness.  free software cannot prevent people
from being assholes, only clever diversion of aggression can do
that.  the trickiness (thus art) stems from cleverness being high
entropy, not easy to maintain.  human nature is no slouch, either.

i have no other source code to offer in this vein (except maybe a
plug for gnugo.el), so i'll bow out of this thread now.

thi