Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: gds.el --- Emacs interface to Google Desktop Search
Date: 12 Feb 2006 14:24:26 +1100

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     In my case I have GD installed on my machine because I think it helps
>     me, and I wanted to interface to it, to make my Emacs experience
>     better. If there were a free replacement I would use that instead and
>     interface to that one.
>
> We can't treat a non-free program as ethically legitimate
> merely because there is no free program that replaces it!

True, but its not just about ethics, but more necessity. I use some
commercial software on my GNU/Linux system simply because there is no
free version available which meets my requirements and these are
fundamental to being able to work on Linux. I have released som
software as GPL which interfaces with the commercial software. If
there was free/open source version that had the features I require,
I'd use it, but there isn't.

Tim

--
Tim Cross