Re: predictive.el -- predictive completion of words as you type in Emacs

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: predictive.el -- predictive completion of words as you type in Emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 12:55:00 +0100

    Uwe> There is also dabbrev-hover.el, however I had difficulties with this
    Uwe> package under Xemacs, however your pkg seem to work nicely. Predictive
    Uwe> on the other hand seems also not to work to smoothly with Xemacs (so
    Uwe> far).

(Off topic I guess, maybe we should move to an XEmacs group...)

Hm, I can't get pabbrev.el to work with XEmacs. I'm using XEmacs 21.4.19 coming
with my up to date Debian Unstable. Starting with xemacs -vanilla and just
first completion.

Did you do something special to make it work? Using 21.5 or something?

Thanks for any help.

Toto

The *Backtrace* buffer gives me:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Error in pabbrev-mode")
  signal(error ("Error in pabbrev-mode"))
  cerror("Error in pabbrev-mode")
  apply(cerror "Error in pabbrev-mode" nil)
  error("Error in pabbrev-mode")
  pabbrev-command-hook-fail((void-function make-overlay) "post")
  (condition-case err (unless (or buffer-read-only ...) (save-excursion ...
...)) (error (pabbrev-command-hook-fail err "post")))
  pabbrev-post-command-hook()

And there is a *pabbrev-fail* buffer displayed, too:

There has been an error in pabbrev-mode. This mode normally
makes use of "post-command-hook", which runs after every command. If this
error continued Emacs could be made unusable, so pabbrev-mode has attempted
to disable itself. So although it will appear to still be on, it won't do
anything. Toggling it off, and then on again will usually restore functionality.
The following is debugging information

Symbol's function definition is void: make-overlay

Backtrace is:
  backtrace()
  (let ((standard-output ...)) (backtrace))
  (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*pabbrev-fail*" (princ "There has been an error
in pabbrev-mode. This mode normally\nmakes use of \"post-command-hook\", which
runs after every command. If this\nerror continued Emacs could be made
unusable, so pabbrev-mode has attempted\nto disable itself. So although it will
appear to still be on, it won't do\nanything. Toggling it off, and then on
again will usually restore functionality.\n") (princ "The following is
debugging information\n\n") (princ (error-message-string err)) (princ
"\n\nBacktrace is: \n") (let (...) (backtrace)))

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

If Michelangelo had been a heterosexual, the Sistine Chapel would
have been painted basic white and with a roller.

Rita Mae Brown