Re: A Windows style file deletion system

From: Davin Pearson
Subject: Re: A Windows style file deletion system
Date: 4 Jun 2006 02:00:18 -0700

Mathias Dahl wrote:
> "Davin Pearson" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > ;; The file trashcan.el changes the behaviour of deleting files with
> > ;; the "x" key in dired mode. Instead of deleting files permanently,
> > ;; which is Emacs' default behaviour, they are either moved to a
> > ;; Trashcan Directory
>

> Be the way, I did not see any setting to control the maximum number of
> bytes to store in the trash. Is there a way to do that?

Thank you for that interesting suggestion... Perhaps someone else
can do this part..

Here is the latest info about my trashcan system:

On 29/05/06, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Why call it the "Windows" recycle bin?  It's just like the Macintosh
> trash can; you mentioned also the Amiga, which probably also preceded
> Microsoft Windows.
>
> I think it will be perfectly clear if you say "Like the trash can or
> recycle bin that many systems, present and past, show on their
> screens."

Here are the changes that I have made to trashcan.el

(1) Patched -- to - in public functions
(2) Replaced defun dired-internal-do-deletions with defadvice
dired-internal-do-deletions
(3) Added defadvice to delete-file and delete-directory
(4) Added a new variable trashcan-patch-delete-stuff-p
(5) Changed the name from "Windows Style File Deletion System" -> "A
Recoverable File Deletion System"
(6) Changed the description text

Here is the latest description text:

;; The file trashcan.el contains a recoverable file deletion system
;; that behaves like the trash can or recycle bin that many operating
;; systems, present and past, show on their screens. This system
;; creates special directories known as trashcan directories to hold
;; files that can be deleted or undeleted (restored/recovered). On
;; Unix systems there is one trashcan directory for each user and the
;; default values are $HOME/.TRASHCAN for each value of $HOME. On
;; Windows systems there are trashcan directories at the following
;; default locations: a:\TRASHCAN, b:\TRASHCAN, c:\TRASHCAN etc.

;; This system changes the behaviour of the "x" key in dired mode from
;; permanently deleting files to a two stage system. If you are not in
;; a trashcan directory, then the selected files are moved into a
;; trashcan directory. If you are already in a trashcan directory, the
;; the selected files are permanently deleted. Files in a trashcan
;; directory can be restored by viewing that directory in dired mode,
;; selecting some files and executing the command M-x
;; trashcan-restore. All of the files in a trashcan directory can also
;; be permanently deleted in one hit by issing the command M-x
;; trashcan-empty. The name "trashcan" comes from my old Amiga
;; Computer which I still have fond memories of!

;; See the following URL for the latest info:
;;
;;
http://www.geocities.com/davinpearson/research/2006/mopa2e.html#trashcan
;;