dir-locals.el (was: dirvars.el 1.3)

From: Dave Love
Subject: dir-locals.el (was: dirvars.el 1.3)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:16:15 +0100

Benjamin Rutt <address@hidden> writes:

> The only new feature is that you can customize whether it will
> look upwards for .emacs-dirvars files if on a remote (tramp/ange-ftp)
> filesystem,

That breaks in Emacs 21, where the function isn't defined.

I added such a check to the better implementation below.  This one is
clean; it doesn't use advice and provides a minor mode.  It uses a
different convention for the directory-local file contents, which is
consistent with the normal form in files and is processed consistently
with that.

While checking it before posting, I found it's now broken by the Emacs
22 codebase (ironically, since it was done because of one of the
things that broke earlier).  I worked around that in a way that should
work OK in the normal case of just finding a file.

_Plenty_ of room on the dance floor!  -- Jon Boden