linkd-mode, alpha release

From: David O'Toole
Subject: linkd-mode, alpha release
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 22:38:08 -0500

I am pleased to announce an alpha release of "linkd-mode". It is a
sort of hypertext system implemented as a minor mode. It works with
any text file format, and can be used to organize and interlink
heterogeneous collections of text files and other resources.

Downloads, screenshots, and a short manual are available from
http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Linkd.html

A few comments.

Linkd-mode is the union of several strands of thought:

 - another package I wrote called golisp-mode, which was a lisp source
   code navigation and indexing tool
 - the further development of ideas inspired by my years of
   conversations with Eduardo Ochs (http://angg.twu.net/)

Several different emacs packages have similar but incompatible
mechanisms for making active links to different types of
resources---files, info nodes, man pages, et cetera. After some
discussions with Michael Olson (maintainer of muse and planner) it is
hoped that one day, emacs users can enjoy a single general-purpose
hyperlinking mechanism for all their files---be they Org-mode
documents, Common Lisp sources, bash scripts, system configuration
files---or whatever. The goal is to create a sort of "personal web"
to navigate all your various files.

Much more functionality is planned, but I hope to get some feedback on
the early version in order to make sure the concepts are on solid
ground.

--
David O'Toole
address@hidden