Re: linum.el -- Display line numbers to the left of buffers

From: Thorsten Bonow
Subject: Re: linum.el -- Display line numbers to the left of buffers
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:01:53 +0200

    Leo> Another way of looking at it is that it will get more users to use the
    >> newer versions of emacs and help with the development and testing. I see
    >> no reason not to do that.

    Drew> A specious argument, IMO. Most people who use Emacs 20 have little
    Drew> choice; it is mandated in their place of work or they have no way to
    Drew> install a later version on a captive machine.

So is it really true that we have no consensus about this question?

Forcing updates on users---who may not even be in a position to do so even if
they want---because of political instead of technical reasons?

Maybe one missing hour of sleep is making me aggressive but this sounds too Big
Bill at best and fascist at worst.

Toto

PS: In order to talk about linum.el again: Looks nice but makes scrolling nearly
    impossible on my box...

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow