Re: acpi.el 1.1

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: acpi.el 1.1
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 12:08:04 +0200

Ivan Raikov <address@hidden> writes:

> ;;; acpi.el --- display current ACPI battery status in the mode line

Hi!

First, thanks for your piece of code, it's always nice to see new
packages for Emacs.

Well, on the other hand, like Thorsten asked, how does your library
compares to ``battery.el'' ?

The main change  I see is that you use  an /external/ binary ``acpi'',
instead of  directly reading the /proc/acpi files  (it's what ``acpi''
does too). So this is  certainly more costly. Also, ``battery.el'' can
manage a demi-dozen of other status mechanisms.

On the practical point of view : it doesn't work quite well on my
computer. acpi -ab outputs :
     Battery 1: charged, 89%
  AC Adapter 1: on-line
but you don't split input string at \n. You probably should. (And
beware of the use of (require 'cl))

Another thing : you  use the mode line. Well, it's not  clear to me if
your mode is a buffer local one or a global one. I don't really know :
it applies  its modeline  changes to the  current buffer only,  but is
activated globally.

I think that you should take a look at ``battery.el'' to see if you
can improve it in some way.

Cheers

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  I'd be surprised if my fix doesn't    |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |      address this problem as well.     |