Re: codesearch.el 1.0 --- Search for code via Google Code Search

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: codesearch.el 1.0 --- Search for code via Google Code Search
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 11:09:39 -0400

    can OTOH every code found by Google qualify as "free
    software"?

I don't know whether all the code index by Google qualifies as free software.
I don't know whether all the code index by Google qualifies as open source.

I would guess that Google indexes all code which is available on the
web.  If so, some of that code has licenses which do not qualify
either as open source or as free software.  And their policy could change
at any time.

In other words, if we call this code "free software", or if we call it
"open source", either way we state the paradigmatic case, and cannot claim
it is a 100% true universal statement.

Free software is a better choice of paradigm, so please let's use that.