Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:29:38 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Of course, I could always define two sources, one for chat and one for
>> e-mail... Anyway, maybe that can give you an idea. BTW, I am trying
>> out `anything' as a replacement for iswitchb right now :)

> I'm an iswitchb fan myself and I actually prefer the iswitchb
> interface for switching buffers, since buffer switching is very
> frequent and iswitchb is not so disruptive (doesn't pop up a window).

I ran into a minor inconvenience using `anything' as replacement for
iswitchb and it is the inability to create new buffers by specifying a
non-existing buffer name.

This got me thinking, how about adding the possibility for a source to
provide a function to be run on non-matching input? I am not sure how
it would work really, and it might not be very useful for other
sources than buffers, but maybe one could, for sources that have this
feature enabled, add an extra line which would be special and which
would always match/always be displayed? When this line was acted upon
the defined function would be called with the value of the prompt.

For example:

-----
Buffers
fillme.txt
<new>

File Name History
h:/dat/doc/txt/fillme.txt
-----
Prompt: ill

Above, navigating to <new> and typing RET would execute a special
function, defined for the source Buffers. For this to work, the
sources that have this defined would always display at least once
match. Maybe placing it at the top would be better, and make the
default cursor position be one line below it, on the first "real"
match, if any.

Just an idea. As I said, this is only a minor annoyance; I have
already a command bound to C-x t which gives me a buffer with a random
name.

Thanks for this very interesting hack!

/Mathias