Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: realplay.el interface with Real Player v. 1879
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:41:30 -0400

    mplayer does not encourage the use of proprietary codecs.

What are the facts on which you base that conclusion?
Your idea of what does or does not encourage the use of proprietary codecs
might be different from ours.

    > We definitely should not support mplayer.

    You (the GNU project) already does so with EMMS.

What is EMMS, and how does EMMS relate to mplayer?

    IMHO `mplayer' and the strongly related `libavcodec' encourage a lot of
    people to switch to a free operating system.

Many others aim to convince people to migrate to GNU/Linux, often by
forgetting about freedom as a goal.  That may be what you are doing
here.

In the GNU Project, we developed the GNU system for the sake of
freedom.  So we look beyond the adoption of variants of the GNU system,
to the ultimate goal of rejecting non-free software.