Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: ;;; anything.el --- open anything
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 21:22:35 +0200

"address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Tamas,

> So, regarding the repository you suggested. I won't have too much time
> work on anything in the future, so I want to concentrate on the
> platform itself (anything.el) and let interested users to come up with
> ways to utilize it.

The problem with that no-vc-approach is, that users who extend
anything.el to fit their needs will have to redefine a bunch of
variables, e.g.

  (setq anything-sources '((...)))
  (setq anything-type-actions '((...)))

and so forth. If you now add a bugfix or little change to the original
definition, that won't propagate to the users. So I'd recommend to use a
distributed vc system nevertheless. Then any hackish user could use
their own branches and sync painlessly to incorporate the changes you
made.

To make anything.el better suited for extending it on the user side I'd
recommend to clean it up a bit, e.g. the example sources in
`anything-sources' should all be defined with `anything-source-FOO'
variables and the same for `anything-type-actions'.

Since you don't have "too much time" I volunteer to create a repository
for you and to make those little cleanups during this weekend.

How does that sound? C'mon, that's a offer you cannot decline. :-)

Bye,
Tassilo
--
          "Emacs is not a development tool but a way of life."
                - David Kastrup in alt.religion.emacs -