Re: install-elisp.el --- Simple Emacs Lisp installer using curl

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: install-elisp.el --- Simple Emacs Lisp installer using curl
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:57:37 -0400

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:59:58 -0400 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

RS> Given that Emacs now has url-retrieve, I don't see any reason to make
RS> provision for any other method.

I am in full agreement.  In fact I just found out why install-elisp.el
wasn't working for me (that was why I had switched to wget): I had a
.curlrc file that was causing problems by always requesting the headers;
I had used it for debugging and forgot it was there.  Using
`url-retrieve' would have saved me some time, and of course it works
better across all the platforms Emacs supports.

So to all package authors: avoid external commands as much as possible :)

Ted