Re: Require or Install

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: Require or Install
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 03:00:17 +0200

Hi,

   Use (require-or-install 'my-package) to install my-package.el from
   EmacsWiki if require fails.

This is a nice thing. But what I really need (and I am willing to
code it asap) is a batch installer -i.e. something that can be
called from a cron job or a Makefile.

Here I maintain a local copy of some packages I really can't live
without. I have a cron job which runs every night at 3:00am that
does two thing:

1. download inconditionnaly (no update checks) every packages
2. compile and build a local autoload file

This cron job is pretty ugly since I do many hard-coded wget. I
really miss something like install-elisp.el but running in batch
mode too. Do you think you could add this to your code or show an
example of running such a batch session ?

Another question, this time on your code. Why do not you
"overload" the standard `require' function ? I mean, you could
unbind `require' and install your own `require'-revisited
function ?

        Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org