Re: pabbrev.el

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: pabbrev.el
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 17:42:44 -0700

  WX> Phillip Lord <address@hidden> writes:
  >> pabbrev.el provides predictive, as you type abbreviation expansion, based
  >> on words already typed in the buffer, offering expansions in buffer with
  >> a natural and immediate user interface.

  WX> So the main difference with hippie-expand is that pabbrev inserts one
  WX> predictive candicate when typing? I wonder if this could be incorporated
  WX> into hippie-expand.

In terms of the user interface, this is partly true. To allow this to happen,
however, there is a big difference -- pabbrev does all of it's work, checking
for possible expansions in the idle cycle. Expansions are offered between
invocation of self-insert-command. pabbrev does a relatively quick hash look
up at this time. Most of the hippie-expand methods are too slow for this. I
can hit 5 keys a second -- dynamic abbreviation cannot run that fast,
particularly not across multiple buffers.

Phil