Re: openwith.el 0.8f -- Open files with external programs

From: Markus Triska
Subject: Re: openwith.el 0.8f -- Open files with external programs
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 08:38:51 +0100

thorne <address@hidden> writes:

> This is nice.  I think there are some attempts at this kind of thing for
> Dired, but for those of us who don't live in Dired, this is nice.

All attempts I've seen are much less general. openwith works everywhere a
file can be opened, including dired (press RET or v on a file).

> but the behavior i would like to have (fwiw) is a separate command on
> a separate key binding which would be similar to what this does, but
> would instead ask me first for a file name, like C-x C-f does, but
> then would say (e.g.), `Open foo.pdf with what program (xpdf)? ' --
> the point being that any time i used C-x C-f i would be asking to
> visit a file in the buffer, as text, but if i _did_ want to open
> something with a separate program, i would use a different command,
> and it would give me both an intelligent default and the option to use
> something different. There would be no need for a mode to turn on. It
> would mean one extra time hitting `enter' each time, but then no
> futzing around those times you don't want it to do the default. Well,
> a thought, anyway.

Sounds good, I will add that in the next release (soon). For now, if it
helps, you can set openwith-confirm-invocation to t, and openwith will
ask whether to open the file externally. Thank you for the suggestion!