Re: company 0.2.1 -- extensible inline text completion mechanism

From: hugo
Subject: Re: company 0.2.1 -- extensible inline text completion mechanism
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 12:49:40 -0700 (PDT)

On 6 abr, 15:54, Nikolaj Schumacher <address@hidden> wrote:
> Richard Riley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > How do you see this competing with auto-complete which completes pretty
> > much anything?
>
> Like auto-complete, this is a front-end.
> You can probably bend back-ends for either to work in the other.  In
> fact company mode is designed for self-contained exchangable back-ends.
>
> So the question really isn't which one can complete "more".
>
> I consider some of the back-ends in company to be more sophisticated
> than what I've seen in auto-complete (Emacs Lisp, CSS, ...), though.  I
> certainly wouldn't mind working on back-end compatibility.
>
> It is unfortunate that there now are two packages out there doing mostly
> the same thing.  Most of my work on company predates auto-complete
> significantly, but I didn't have the time to work on it for a while.
> Too bad that was reason enough for someone to duplicate the work.
>
> regards,
> Nikolaj Schumacher

At first sight, his version for completing elisp (perhaps his version
uses only the current buffer and not the internal lists?) is much
faster, but I really liked that yours allow the user to isearch on the
results and then show only those that matched. You guys should talk :)

OTOH, none of those seems to provide a function like completing-read
that I could use in my libraries...

Cheers
weber