Re: ioccur, incremental occur

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: ioccur, incremental occur
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 18:36:39 +0200

Hi Leo,

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2010-03-29 22:20 +0100, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

>>> Many thanks for this package;)
>> Your are welcome ;-)
>
> After trying ioccur, I feel it is sluggish even on a machine like this:

Do you mean it is slow? (sluggish) sorry for my english.

>       Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
>       Processor Speed: 2 GHz
>       Number Of Processors: 1
>       Total Number Of Cores: 2
>       L2 Cache: 3 MB
>       Memory: 4 GB
>       Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

My laptop is by far not so good, Dell 1.8Ghz and 2Gb of Memory, and ioccur is
very reactive even on reasonable large buffer (files of 1.2 to 1.5 Mo).
I use it also on other machine (old Amd64) with no problem of performance.
I also tried it in virtual machine with windowsXP and it work fine also.

> I can literally see key sequences flash across the minibuffer when
> BACKSPC. This is tested in Emacs 23.1.94 and ioccur is compiled.
What is your OS?
Do you use Emacs in X or on terminal (xterm etc..)?

What key sequences do you see in minibuffer?

I think it is may be not a problem of performance but a problem of key
compatibility with your system.
Actually, backspace is bound to ?\d.

Can you do some test on ioccur.el itself and tell me what you see if for
example you enter:

d e f u n backspace backspace v a r

Also if from scratch buffer, you eval :
(read-key)
and press backspace, what do you see in minibuffer?
You should have 127.

> The user interface also needs some improvement but we can discuss this
> after fixing the performance problem.
Yes please.

> Hope this is useful.
Yes it is, i am curious to see what's wrong here, as i use ioccur every
day in all buffers without any problems.
Thanks for reporting.

--
Thierry Volpiatto
Gpg key: http://pgp.mit.edu/