Re: ioccur, incremental occur

From: Leo
Subject: Re: ioccur, incremental occur
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:12:41 +0100

On 2010-03-31 17:36 +0100, Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
> Do you mean it is slow? (sluggish) sorry for my english.
>
>>       Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
>>       Processor Speed: 2 GHz
>>       Number Of Processors: 1
>>       Total Number Of Cores: 2
>>       L2 Cache: 3 MB
>>       Memory: 4 GB
>>       Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
>
> My laptop is by far not so good, Dell 1.8Ghz and 2Gb of Memory, and ioccur is
> very reactive even on reasonable large buffer (files of 1.2 to 1.5 Mo).
> I use it also on other machine (old Amd64) with no problem of performance.
> I also tried it in virtual machine with windowsXP and it work fine also.
>
>> I can literally see key sequences flash across the minibuffer when
>> BACKSPC. This is tested in Emacs 23.1.94 and ioccur is compiled.
> What is your OS?
> Do you use Emacs in X or on terminal (xterm etc..)?
>
> What key sequences do you see in minibuffer?
>

> I think it is may be not a problem of performance but a problem of key
> compatibility with your system.
> Actually, backspace is bound to ?\d.
>
> Can you do some test on ioccur.el itself and tell me what you see if for
> example you enter:
>
> d e f u n backspace backspace v a r
>
> Also if from scratch buffer, you eval :
> (read-key)
> and press backspace, what do you see in minibuffer?
> You should have 127.

Sorry I should have tried running emacs on terminal before posting this.
In fact when I run Emacs in terminal I don't see the problem mentioned
in previous post.

I am on OSX 10.6.3 and when running ioccur with Emacs with GUI, I can
see keys flash in the minibuffer. For example, If i type d e f u n and
then C-n, I can see C-n briefly show up in the minibuffer and then
disappear. Does this happen to you? Let me know and if need be I will
email YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu since it might be a problem specific to
mac-port.

I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.94.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.2.0, Carbon
Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1038.25). See this:
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/121879.

* user interface

1. I think the cursor should be in the minibuffer not in the ioccur
buffer. There's no use putting the cursor in the ioccur buffer unlike
the isearch feature. C-y should work.

2. M-n/M-p to bring up history searches.

3. the *iccour* buffer should be kept.

   The reason to use occur or ioccur other than C-s is to have an
   overview of entries that the user wants to look at for example during
   bug fixing one might want to look at all places a function has been
   used. So the *ioccur* buffer should be there for them to navigate to
   entries easily without doing the search again.

Leo