Re: gmail-notifier.el v0.1 --- Notify unread gmail on mode line

From: J. David Boyd
Subject: Re: gmail-notifier.el v0.1 --- Notify unread gmail on mode line
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 13:41:29 -0400

William Xu <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>    I get this when I run this, using my username and password:
>
>    error in process sentinel: `curl -s --user "myusername:mypassword"
>    https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom' failed: 60
>
> Error 60 means: (from curl)
>
> ,----
> | 60     Peer certificate cannot be authenticated with known CA certificates.
> `----
>
> What does it say if you execute this on terminal?
>
> ,----
> | curl --user "myusername:mypassword" https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom'
> `----
>
> It might be curl's problem.  What is your version? Here is mine:
>
> ,----[ curl --version ]
> | curl 7.19.7 (universal-apple-darwin10.0) libcurl/7.19.7 OpenSSL/0.9.8l
> zlib/1.2.3
> | Protocols: tftp ftp telnet dict ldap http file https ftps
> | Features: GSS-Negotiate IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz
> `----
>
>    Do I need to configure something in my gmail account?   I don't recall
>    having an atom feed available from it....
>
> I don't think so.  The atom feed is provided by google itself, i think
> it is also being used by its own gmail notifier.

Mine is:

> curl --version
curl 7.20.1 (i686-pc-cygwin) libcurl/7.20.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8o zlib/1.2.3
libidn/1.18 libssh2/1.2.5
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps http https imap imaps pop3 pop3s rtsp scp sftp
smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: IDN IPv6 Largefile NTLM SSL libz

If I do it from the command line, I get:

> curl --user "myusername:mypassword" https://mail.google.com/feed/atom
curl: (60) SSL certificate problem, verify that the CA cert is OK. Details:
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify
failed
More details here: http://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html

curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
 of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
 bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
 using the --cacert option.
If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
 the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
 problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
 not match the domain name in the URL).
If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
 the -k (or --insecure) option.

And if I try the -k option, I get:

> curl -k --user "myusername:mypassword" https://mail.google.com/feed/atom
<HTML><HEAD><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=utf-8">
<TITLE>302 Moved</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
<H1>302 Moved</H1>
The document has moved
<A HREF="http://www.google.com";>here</A>.
</BODY></HTML>

So, who knows. I assume I'm using all the latest certificates on my
computer.  I work at a fairly large hi-tech corporation, and they keep
our machines well up to date.

Dave