Re: where-am-i, again

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: where-am-i, again
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 11:47:19 -0400

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:28:11 +0100 Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

TN> () Samuel Wales <address@hidden>
TN> () Sun, 20 Jan 2013 09:42:32 -0700

TN>    On 1/20/13, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Here it is again, redesigned:

TN>    What does this package do?

TN> It provides a single command ‘where-am-i’ (see docstring).

TN> To play, ‘M-x load-file’ it, visit (e.g.) line 767 of file src/sgfv.scm
TN> of <http://www.gnuvola.org/software/sgf-utils/sgf-utils-0.6.tar.xz>, and
TN> type ‘C-l’ (to recenter) followed by ‘M-x where-am-i RET’.

TN> You should see 9 lines "appear", starting w/ the top-level ‘define’.
TN> (Rather, those lines are the ones that remain, it is the intervening
TN> ones that disappear.)  Now, type SPC and the buffer will revert to its
TN> previous appearance (If All Goes Well).

TN> You can think of it as a generalization of ‘which-function-mode’, but
TN> less passive and more pretty (aggressive beauty for the parens, yeah!).
TN> The command name comes from the keybinding i use personally, ‘M-?’.

I like the idea a lot.  It's a breadcrumb trail of the program
structure, generated dynamically.  You can sort of do this with
`selective-display' if your indentation is consistent.

The extra buffer interaction to get interesting info seems annoying.
How about using `header-line-format' to display the breadcrumb
automagically, in addition to the popup detail?

Ted