Re: Typewriter input simulation for EMACS

From: chipschap
Subject: Re: Typewriter input simulation for EMACS
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2013 20:58:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, July 27, 2013 12:36:41 PM UTC-10, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

Thank you for your excellent comments and suggestions.

> Now, defvar is a toplevel form. Inside a defun it doesn't do what you
> believe it does.  Use let instead.

You are entirely correct, I just wanted to make the byte-compiler warning go
away :)

> write-typewriter is rather untypical a command, with this while t.  You
> could instead write a typewriter major mode

The (while t is indeed bizarre. But it's deliberately chosen.

At one time I actually considered a major mode, just (re)defining entries in
the keymap to suit my purposes. Someone actually did something along those
lines that they called "no easy keys" if I recall correctly.

But consider my purpose here. It goes beyond keymapping. I create a trap from
which escape is difficult. NO switching buffers. NO fixing errors. NO
diversions. You just write. You just keep typing. Nothing else, because nothing
else is possible.

Kind of a writing program for people with attention deficits. And believe me,
I've met many a writer who has wanted such a thing. (Some day take a look at
"write or die" mode for EMACS.)

In any case, this is all in good fun and I am glad for your participation.