Re: easy-kill: drop-in replacement for kill-ring-save

From: Leo Liu
Subject: Re: easy-kill: drop-in replacement for kill-ring-save
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 15:25:36 +0800

Hi Dmitry ;)

On 2013-10-08 09:37 +0800, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> I've played around with it a bit, and it feels quite comfortable.
>
> There is certain amount of overlap with Magnar Sveen's expand-region,
> but easy-kill provides finer controls.

Thank you.

> On the other hand, extending it with new "things" will be more
> difficult, since each one of them will require a dedicated key and some
> headspace estate to remember it. And there's no mechanism to "expand"
> the region from smaller to bigger things. Maybe I don't really need
> that, though.

The extensions are provided both for development and for experienced
users.

I have made +/- expand/shrink on list or sexp more lispy could you try
it out?

> The one problem I encountered has to do with the next command expecting
> an active region: mc/mark-all-like-this-dwim, from the multiple-cursors
> package, uses the active region, if it's present.
>
> With expand-region, the region becomes active as a result, and
> mc/mark-all-like-this-dwim marks all occurences of the text in the
> region. Not so with easy-kill: the text gets copied to the kill ring,
> but the region is inactive, so mc/mark-all-like-this-dwim just uses the
> symbol at point.

Sorry I use neither of these packages. Is the intention to have region
active after exit easy-kill? Or is it better to have, for example, C-SPC
exit easy-kill and activate region? I'll experiment with these ideas
later today.

Thank you for the excellent comments.

Leo