Re: nobreak-fade.el v.8

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: nobreak-fade.el v.8
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 18:30:07 -0600

On Jun 11, 2014, at 3:37 PM, Emanuel Berg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> IIRC {\bf foo} has been deprecated in LaTeX (in favor
>> of \textbf{foo}) since the appearance of LaTeX2e.
>
> Yeah? What was the reason for that? How is {\bf foo}
> inferior? This is the second time today this happened,
> I seem to be totally outdated... - but {\bf foo} works
> with both pdflatex and xelatex (which I got from the
> Debian Jessie repositories). I prefer that form as it
> is quicker to type and has a more "encapsulated"
> syntax. But I'll start using \textbf{foo} if you in
> just one sentence or so can tell me what the gain would
> be.

\textbf and friends handle italic correction for you and are able to be nested,
e.g., \textit{\textbf{blah}} is bold and italic.  See also
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/41681/correct-way-to-bold-italicize-text.
  I know that’s two sentences (now three), but I’m feeling generous today. :-)

-Ivan