Hawaiian Language Input

From: Bob Newell
Subject: Hawaiian Language Input
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 10:28:25 -1000

Here is a working prototype for Hawaiian-language input (pre- and
post-fix). I'm not sure if the ʻokina character will render here
properly, so in case of issues the code is here:

http://www.bobnewell.net/filez/hawaiian-input.el

I do hope someone might find this useful, even though the potential
audience is rather small.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;; Implement Hawaiian pre/post-fix input methods. It's a small subset of
;;; Latin-4 with the addition of an ʻokina mapping. Hopefully the
;;; ʻokina shows correctly on most displays.

;;; You should be in one of the "Latin" language environments, such as
;;; (set-language-environment "Latin-4")

(require 'quail)

(quail-define-package
 "hawaiian-postfix" "Hawaiian Postfix" "H<" t
 "Hawaiian characters input method with postfix modifiers

             | postfix | examples
 ------------+---------+----------
  ʻokina     |    `    | ` -> ʻ
  kahakō     |    -    | a- -> ā

Doubling the postfix separates the letter and postfix: e.g. a\\='\\=' -> a\\='
" nil t nil nil nil nil nil nil nil nil t)

(quail-define-rules
 ("A-" ?Ā)
 ("E-" ?Ē)
 ("I~" ?Ĩ)
 ("O-" ?Ō)
 ("U-" ?Ū)
 ("a-" ?ā)
 ("e-" ?ē)
 ("i-" ?ī)
 ("o-" ?ō)
 ("u-" ?ū)
 ("`" ?ʻ)

 ("A--" ["A-"])
 ("E--" ["E-"])
 ("I--" ["I-"])
 ("O--" ["O-"])
 ("U--" ["U-"])
 ("a--" ["a-"])
 ("e--" ["e-"])
 ("i--" ["i-"])
 ("o--" ["o-"])
 )

(quail-define-package
 "hawaiian-prefix" "Hawaiian Prefix" "H>" t

[...]

--
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i