Re: [GNU ELPA] Map version 3.2

From: John Cummings
Subject: Re: [GNU ELPA] Map version 3.2
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 19:17:28 +0000

On Tuesday, September 21st, 2021 at 5:03 PM, ELPA update
<do.not.reply@elpa.gnu.org> wrote:

> Version 3.2 of package Map has just been released in GNU ELPA.

Thanks for the update! I haven't knowingly used this package before,
so I downloaded it. It looks like map 3.1 and 3.2 might not be fully
compatible with Emacs 26 or 27. Has anyone else experienced this?

I first noticed it here, on my 26.3 Ubuntu build of Emacs, when I
visited a place with dir locals, and got this error:

Error reading dir-locals: (cl-no-applicable-method map-into
#s(hash-table size 65 test equal rehash-size 1.5 rehash-threshold
0.8125 data (nil ((tab-width . 8) (sentence-end-double-space . t)
(fill-column . 70) (bug-reference-url-format
. "https://debbugs.gnu.org/%s";)))) list)

It looks like commit 6535fd1fa9ac21238a168916249ac59677a6118e allowed
generic specializers like "(eql 'list)", but since map.el updated in
the same commit, that method was no longer backwards compatible in the
subsequent releases (3.1 and 3.2)

I confirmed that calling the same map-into method from map.el got the
same cl-no-applicable-method error in a fresh repo build of Emacs 27.2
as well.

I might have gotten something really wrong here, but if not, does this
qualify as something to open a bug for? Do you think that the package
will just have its required Emacs version bumped and republished, if
that's possible? As I mentioned, I'm not too familiar with using
map.el, let alone developing it, but it seems like unquoted
specializers are still allowed in master, so would updating it to be
backwards-compatible be on the table?

Thank you!