Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Thunderbird recommending non-free software

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Thunderbird recommending non-free software
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 12:34:31 +0100

Rubén Rodríguez Pérez wrote:
Maybe we should have someone doing a libre gnu thunderbird software just
as there is a libre gnu firefox one.

Yes, and also because the mozilla trademark policies say that you must
rename the package if you change it in certain ways. INAL, but this
changes might be in the border line for this.

http://www.mozilla.org/foundation/trademarks/policy.html

I tried to work out what is happening, when you ask for addons thunderbird launches a local application.

I think this is what happens:

This application tries to find in the current directory typically

~$user

an xpi file, or if you ask for a theme a .jar file, which could be anything.

It appears to me that it does no more than that.

Languages are language packs that are already installed for the local system.

I feel this is not really a bug, but your opinion like mine may be right, or may be wrong.

Regards,
P.