Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: any Free BSD variant?
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 22:43:03 +0930

On Sun, 21 Jun 2009 09:54:26 +0300
Yavor Doganov <address@hidden> wrote:

> Karl Goetz wrote:
> > > Dak will reject any upload if it has no .debs.
>
> > this is quite... disturbing ... since I've always understood that
> > all packages could be built on buildds.
>
> Yes, this is a problem, although in practice mistakes are very rare.
>
> In theory and in practice ALL packages could be built on the buildds,
> and this is in fact a hard requirement for a new architecture (like
> now -- the kfreebsd-i386 and kfreebsd-amd64 official buildds are
> building the whole archive from scratch).

Ah good. As long as its technically possible with the tools, it allows
us to do what we'd like.

> The last time this was extensively discussed is in this thread:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/01/msg00760.html

I'll have a look, thanks.

> > I'm not sure how a framework can enforce testing.
>
> It cannot.  Even if dak runs lintian on the *.changes, people could
> still shut it up with overrides.
>
> But certain setups can and lead to less testing; quoting from the
> above message:

> | [4] There are ways you can attempt to mitigate this (e.g. require
> |     binaries but then throw them away), but when you do that, the
> |     mindset is still that no one will use (-> you don't have to care
> |     about) the binaries that are being uploaded.
>
> The explanation in the last point (which was my suggestion) makes
> sense.

Yup. Guess this is why pbuilder now has hooks for instability
testing as part of building.

> > I don't agree they should be installed by default though (and I
> > think we are unlikely to agree).
>
> We'll agree to disagree for the time being, then.
> Maybe you'll change your mind when you encounter enough wasteful bug
> reports with no further feedback from the OP...

Guess that'll go on the 'long term' pile then ...
:)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)