[GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:13:09 +0300

Mgg wrote:
> Why it could be useless if someone could hack a free replacement of
> the non free part?

Shipping the program as it is is not a prerequisite for writing a free
replacement, and I fail to see how it helps in the slightest way.

Someone wrote replacements of make, m4, libc, tar, etc. without the
necessity of the GNU Project to distribute the proprietary Unix
variants at ftp.gnu.org.  A free distro should take the adequate
equivalent decision, I think.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html for a more detailed
rationale.  Having no proprietary (build-)dependencies is a
prerequisite for being a GNU project, and even to host a (non-GNU)
project at Savannah.

I find it natural to be a prerequisite for inclusion of a package in a
free GNU/Linux distro.  (And I find it disturbing why some people on
this list are arguing about this -- it should be obvious.)