Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exte

From: Diego Saravia
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:04:23 -0300

2009/8/17 Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>:
> Daniel Olivera wrote:
>> > So you say that a free program that is only usable in conjuction
>> > with a non-free one is OK to use (and distribute)?
>>
>> Usable or not if some package have 4 freedoms is free software.
>
> I am not arguing that it's not free software -- it is.  I am arguing
> that we should reject such programs, because using them implies using
> non-free software.

thats not true

you can use the program to develop a free firmware replacement

> Setting the distro's policy is a matter of judgement that is made by
> its maintainers; this inherently includes "personal" elements.

yes

>> We vill never block software.
>
> Free software that depends on non-free software is already blocked, or
> more correctly said, "trapped".  By ditributing it you are saying to
> your users that such software is legitimate.

we are not distributing non-free software

> OK.  I certainly don't write the history, but I'd still encourage you
> to read the Java Trap article.  You don't seem to understand what is
> it all about.

Daniel was the first person to distribute a 100% free java system, so
I think that he know something about that

>-Remove driver (source) completely.
>-Modify driver to print a warning (disable loading files)

>I prefer the first,

Ok, thats OK, I prefer the second.

but if you remove the driver I think you must provide an alternative
way to tell to yours users that you have a non functional hardware.

>Difficulty can only be used to choose between valid solutions. Same goes
>for any other practical concern. If you choose not to compile the driver
>to fix an ethical issue, then you shouldn't distribute the code either.

thats another problem, but I do not see any reason to not distribute
source of free code at all.

In fact is a non-funtional work, because you cannot compile it with
the software you distribute.

Its crazy to aloud non-free texts or images and do not aloud non-working code.

==================

>Many times I heard in free software conference "Free software in not
>about funcionality is about freedom"

mmm, we work because we need free working software, so its all about
functionality also

>Now, we can change this words?

No, functionality with free software was always an important point.

>Funcionality is important to Open Source Iniciative not for us.
> For us only freedom is important.

and so, why do you opose to distribute a non working driver, thats free?

what happens to your way of think about functionality and freedom?

you say that functionality do not matters, but you argue against
distributing non-working code

--
Diego Saravia
address@hidden