Freeing Unrar - Was Re: [GNU-linux-libre] editable sections on Software_

From: Rubén Rodríguez Pérez
Subject: Freeing Unrar - Was Re: [GNU-linux-libre] editable sections on Software_blacklist
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:31:33 +0200

> there is no fix for unrar yet

The non-free (but open source) unrar lib[1] has this license:

   4. Legal stuff

   Unrar source may be used in any software to handle RAR archives
   without limitations free of charge, but cannot be used to re-create
   the RAR compression algorithm, which is proprietary. Distribution
   of modified Unrar source in separate form or as a part of other
   software is permitted, provided that it is clearly stated in
   the documentation and source comments that the code may not be used
   to develop a RAR (WinRAR) compatible archiver.

As I understand, it does not limit the possibility of using it as a
reference for a free implementation of the *de*compression algorithm.
As an example, the zip and unzip programs come from different source
packages. INAL, but I see no problem in creating a GNU unrar program,
as long as the code from unrarsrc is not used, just the concepts.

1: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/unrarsrc-3.9.6.tar.gz