Re: [GNU-linux-libre] blag n'est pas mort. Vive blag

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] blag n'est pas mort. Vive blag
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 20:38:21 +0100

Abdur-Rahman Morgan schreef:
Initially, I saw the event being hosted by each Free Software
Foundation with individuals having a space to gather physically while
users listen to presentations live while simultaneously being
streamed in real-time. Free Software Distribution could follow the
This does require lots of bandwidth, and an FSF of some sort near by.

samgee, recommended that an Ubuntu Open Week Format might be more feasible.

I prefer a text medium over audio/video communication. The latter has some advantages, but is it worth going through the hassle of setting up software and hardware and getting everyone connected at the same time? This mailing list was set up for communication between distros. Maybe we should use it for more than the occasional report about a non-free package.

As an event to communicate with users the Open Week format [1] seems to work rather well for Ubuntu. The idea is to have 2 IRC channels: one where people can post questions/comments, the other where one or more speakers do a talk and answer questions. This is much easier to organise and set up and is less demanding on the speakers. If it turns out to be hugely successful and we see that there is a demand to do a video conference then we can decide to do that next time.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek