Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Tcl/Tk license

From: Bryan Baldwin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Tcl/Tk license
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 09:58:35 +1200

On 07/31/2010 09:27 AM, crap0101 wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 30/07/2010 alle 17.10 -0300, Matias A. Fonzo ha scritto:
>> I want to include Tcl/Tk on Dragora. But, I am very confused with the
>> clauses of the Tcl/Tk license. Some headers of Tcl, contain a reference to
>> a file called "license.terms"; the content of the file in question:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/85ELnnsG
>>
>> Can anyone take a look and confirm the freedom of Tcl/Tk?
>
> Seems Free to me. If your doubt is about the 'GOVERMENT USE' clause, I
> think it's a DoD internal matter (i've read something about here:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Acquisition_Regulation ), not
> tightly releated with the licence itself.

Hi there,

I'm not a lawyer, but it looks free to me. Look at this text:

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the authors grant the U.S. Government and
others acting in its behalf permission to use and distribute the
software in accordance with the terms specified in this license.

Initially the GOVERNMENT USE clause shows restrictions that violate one
or more of the four freedoms, but as we can see, the authors themselves
clearly state that it is not they that are inducing the restriction.
This would be no different then having a job at a workplace that
restricts the use of a free software application in some way. It doesn't
effect it's "freeness", imo.

        Bryan