Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How do you handle references to non-free software

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How do you handle references to non-free software in public forums?
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 23:45:55 +0200

Henry Jensen wrote:
Well, I don't know if I am good at marketing or if I suck. I get
constantly new users, some are blaming me for using linux-libre because
their hardware won't work. Some are requesting that I use the "vanilla"
kernel. I regularly respond to such posts, pointing them to h-node.com
and try to explain why it is important to use free and avoid non-free
software. Some people understand this, but some are not.

You tried to help them. If they don't like it, ignore them and spend your time on people who do.

Well, I heard
rumors that there might be a external NON-FSDG repo or even a NON-FSDG
fork in the planning. If it will happen I have no means or the will to
stop it. It is free software, after all.

Indeed.

But: I regularly read the suggestion "use non-free" at Debian help forums.
How can I respond to the same suggestion from arbitrary users posting at
the forum?

I don't know the vibe there, but I assume that keeping on explaining the importance of software freedom and helping people with free software won't get you banned. Remain friendly and calm, even if some people may not like what you're doing and want you to stop doing it. Avoid religious flamewars.