Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How do you handle references to non-free software

From: Brett Smith
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] How do you handle references to non-free software in public forums?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 17:31:29 -0400

On 07/07/2011 12:43 PM, Koko Koala wrote:
>> If it occurs at the forum of a FSDG compliant distro that now and then
>> non-free software is mentioned, how do you handle this?
>
> Here at BLAG, we have a non-free forum. But noone uses it (in fact, the
> forum is not that much used), and I doubt of its usefulness

Hmm.  While I appreciate that the goal here is to cordon off discussions
about nonfree software out of the main forums, I'm worried that this
might give people the wrong idea that BLAG legitimizes nonfree software.
 I'm not sure this is the direction that I'd like to see us going.

I agree with many of the other sentiments here that going so far as to
delete every post that mentions nonfree software is going unnecessarily
far.  I think individualized responses like we've been discussing are a
good way to handle the issue generally.

--
Brett Smith
License Compliance Engineer, Free Software Foundation

Support the FSF by becoming an Associate Member: http://fsf.org/jf