Re: [GNU-linux-libre] TeXLive auditing

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] TeXLive auditing
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 21:53:28 GMT

    [0] http://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/TeXLive_freedom_verification

It is terribly daunting and depressing to see a list of hundreds of
problems coming out of nowhere, most with no actual details.  I wish
there had been some discussion with upstream (e.g., address@hidden) as
work had started or progressed.

I have spent hundreds of (frustrating) hours on "freedom fixes" in TeX
Live.  I don't doubt plenty of problems remain, but ... starting with
"Generated files without source", that list is bogus as far as I
can tell.  As far as I know, all sources are available for "12many" and
(at a glance) the other packages in that list.  What file in the 12many
package do you think lacks source?  Both the .sty and .pdf are generated
from the .dtx.

I will keep reviewing this report as I have a chance.

karl (tex live maintainer)