[GNU-linux-libre] unzip

From: Jason Self
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] unzip
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2011 17:39:00 -0700 (PDT)

While examining the unzip source code I found this clause in the file match.c:

> Permission is granted to any individual or institution to use, copy,
> or redistribute this software so long as all of the original files are
> included unmodified, that it is not sold for profit, and that this copy-
> right notice is retained.

This could be read as not permitting modification, since it only talks about
using, copying and redistributing. Also, a free program must be available for
commercial use, commercial development, and commercial distribution.

I'm raising this because it appears that several GNU+Linux distros have copies
of unzip. Is it an oversight? It doesn't seem to hive with the Info-ZIP license
at http://www.info-zip.org/license.html.

I'm having difficulty contacting the Info-ZIP people: Their forums require
approval from an administrator to get an account, their mailing lists seem to be
gone, their web-based contact form responds with "Go Away Spammer."  :/